Thursday, August 05, 2010

An American Girl

There is something about the combination of Red and Yellow that makes me feel very American. I'm not sure what it is exactly. The obvious choices for most American colors, would be Red, White and Blue and yet every time I add Yellow to the mix, I feel a little more Patriotic than usual.
I must admit, I have a sense of guilt over these wedges. When I saw them as my local Discount Department Store ( Peter Harris) I loved the polka dot detail on the wedge. I loved the red color, and I loved their comfort. Made by Keds these shoes were made for walking. I took them, and their $10 price tag home excited about their possibilities. Later at home I could still envision their outfit options, but had to finally have a sit down talk with myself. Purchasing these shoes was a bit reckless. They are adorable, and I will wear them, but how much? Finding an occasion or to a summer does not a smart purchase make. A few months ago I decided to quite with the shopping bans, and stop with the restrictions because they simply won't work for me. What I did promise myself however was that I would start to be a better smarter shopper. I put things back on the shelves way more often, won't purchase anything that I can't immediately come up with 5 different ways to wear it, and never walk into a store without a plan. I didn't have a plan when I stopped by the store that day, instead it was the curiosity that killed the little Smart Shopping Jimminy Cricket inside of me. These shoes are awfully adorable, I just don't have a need for them.

After their first wear to the office, I got home to find the polka dotted fabric bottoms had turned the bottoms and sides of my feet red. I get it Smart Shopping Jimminy Cricket. Karma is a not nice lady.
White Tee- Old Navy $5
Yellow Belt- Plato's Closet $4.50
Red Bead Necklace- Christmas Tree Store $1
Denim Skirt- old
Red Wedges- The Americana: Peter Harris $10



5 comments:

Sidewalk Chic said...

Sorry to hear those shoes aren't working out for you -- they are very cute, and I could see them working with a lot of outfits (neutrals and the like).

Love the patriotic look! I am a big fan of red, white and blue, but I might have to add some yellow soon!

Angela said...

I love the pop of red. : )

Heather said...

I love this outfit- the belt ties everything together nicely! I think those shoes would be hard for me to walk in though. I'm totally a "flats" girl, although I do wear heals that "go" with certain outfits.

Lisa - respect the shoes said...

The shoes do look great on you, but I know what you mean about getting something you don't need (welcome to my shopping life, haha)!

I can't believe they turned your feet red, I haven't noticed the same thing happen to me, but maybe I haven't been noticing?!

dear kate said...

this is very all american! even the yellow gives it a nice summery, american look! i love it! good work! :)
katie