Thursday, June 18, 2009

Tropical Storm

To stick with my attempts to add more pattern into my daily wardrobe I have been leafing through my closet looking for great patterned pieces that haven't seen the light of day in awhile. This shirt more than qualifies.
I picked this shirt up as my last employee purchase about 5 years ago when I was working retail. All of the girls laughed at me wasting my last discount on a shirt like this. No-one in the store liked it. We had only gotten about 5 in stock and I think the last 4 ( after my purchase)went right to the clearance rack. Even still, I couldn't help but to buy it. Something about it just caught my eye. I loved the colors in the embroidery, and I loved the light green color of the background. Sure the fabric was pulled a little tight around the detailing, but I just couldn't let this one go. Even all these years later I'm still glad I made this purchase. Every time I wear it, it reminds me of my rebel purchase. Even than I knew what I liked to wear and I wore it all with pride. I have to be completely honest and say that I haven't yet found a best way to wear this shirt. It is a rather odd length, and so to counter act I have always worn it with an A line black skirt. Simple enough to let the colors of the shirt speak, but long enough to not emphasize the longer torso the shirt leaves me with. As I was leaving the house in my skirt, I saw the rain through my screen door and decided that jeans would be more appropriate. I think the addition of the black sweater really helped to ramp up the look of the shirt. A longer shirt in combination with my already long legs helped to make everything look more evenly proportioned. And the black and blue simple colors helped to let the detailing shine.

With so much happening on my belly, I wanted to keep the jewelry simple. This is a tiny stud necklace I found somewhere years ago. I don't have many occasions to need a simple piece of jewelry, but when I do this is my go to guy.


I also wanted to keep the shoes simple. It was raining and I really just wanted to be comfortable. Having to wear flats all day is usually a good start to comfort, but some shoes are made for running. These are those such flats. These $10 beauties were a Wal-mart purchase from last spring. They've now made it through 2 years and are more than worth the money I spent. I liked that they also wouldn't take away from the colorful threads.


I'm still not sure if the detailing is supposed to be more Spanish or Mexican inspired, or if it is supposed to be a jungle-y theme. It's a bunch of flowers and a tropical looking bird. I resolve to think of it as some non-theme specific pretty embroidery. Some thing are just better left un-discovered.

No comments: