Tuesday, July 05, 2011

1 Pair: 2 Ways (Tan and Beige Oxfords)

Tan and Beige Oxfords

Tan and Beige Oxfords

BDG Brand Oxfords
Purchased at Goodwill
Summer 2011 for $9

I have a love-love relationship with Oxford Shoes. They bring me back to my childhood obsession with all things Victorian era. I used to dream of being a pretty little girl sitting in a corner of a fancy house in a pretty pink dress and brown oxford shoes working on my embroidery before running through tall fields of grass. I blame a combination of 'Samantha the American girl' books, and the' Little Princess' book. ( Though it's likely they were actually wearing higher boots then and not a lower cut oxford shoe, but these are my daydreams so in them I'll keep the era in-appropriate oxford shoes) I'm not sure where I got all of these images of dainty girls and their dress up clothes, but I give some credit to my years of reading every Princess and Victorian book I could get my hands on. Now as an adult, I often find myself discovering items of clothing on shelves that remind me of elements my childhood love. The two tone style of these shoes is a direct manifestation of my childhood daydreams, and I couldn't walk past without picking them up. Once I realized they had not a scratch on them, and clearly hadn't been worn I couldn't leave them behind. I wasn't immediately familiar with the brand, but that didn't matter so much. I loved these shoes already. Once home I jumped online to see what I could find out about the name on the tag, BDG. The shoes really were un-touched, likely a gift that came in the wrong size and maybe donated after having never been worn. Imagine my surprise when I located these exact shoes available on the Urban Outfitters website for $50. Apparently these shoes had been a recent gift, and therefore a recent donation. My $41 savings made my inner thrifting child smile. The amazing shoe that came as a result of that purchase made my inner daydreaming child smile even bigger.

Tan and Beige Oxfords

No comments: