Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Wintery Mix

With so many holiday events going on this month, Johnny and I have found ourselves all over the place. Last week brought us to Long Island. Johnny has family there and we were heading down to spend the night with his cousins in Brooklyn. The forecast kept saying that New York City was expecting a huge storm on Saturday, so I did my best to prepare for the cold. We left Saturday morning in hopes of missing the snow, and managed to get pretty lucky. We did decide to make a bit of a detour on our way home and stop by the Woodbury Outlets. Johnny was in desperate need of some jeans so this shopping trip was a necessity. I hoped that I could get away with leaving my coat in the car. Going from store to store would make it difficult to lug my heavy coat around, and I did have 3 layers on which I hoped would keep me warm as we wandered from place to place. It was a bad choice on my part. My body was warm, my head was not. With the temperature hitting 15 degrees and the wind making it feel like much less, my head froze.
My scarf quickly became a head warmer. This wasn't about fashion, it was about warmth! Many of the other shoppers were wearing full length jackets and had their faces wrapped in scarves and mittens. They must not be New Yorkers. In fact Johnny's cousin asked me Friday night, if I was more accustom to the cold because it snows more often in Albany. I actually hear this question a lot, and my answer is always the same. Cold is cold no matter how often you feel it. By the end of the shopping trip I had convinced Johnny to buy a hat that I could wear to the car, but that he could have back after that. I must admit the hat made a world of difference in keeping me warm. In some weather conditions, I have to let my fashion fall to the way-side for functionality. I just wish I would consider both options before I leave the house, not when I'm stuck standing in the cold.
Shirt: Max Azria and Miley Cyrus for Walmart $5
Moto Jacket: Forever 21 $12
Jeans: PacSun $20
Boots: Charlotte Russe $10
Scarf: holiday gift

No comments: