Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Halloween Costumes

We went as Ferris Bueller, his girlfriend Sloane and his best friend Cameron!
The outfits were surprisingly easy to put together. I was able to pick up everything for my outfit at the Goodwill. A White Denim jacket, the brown side purse and some very 80's very high waisted gray pants. Once home I cut and hemmed the pants to make them the perfect shorts.
The Cameron outfit was easy, once we found a Hockey shirt. Looks like Hockey Jersey's are suddenly very popular, and were no-where to be found, so we settled on getting a Hockey shirt that displayed the same number 9 as the movie.
Johnny's outfit forced us to get a little creative. We were able to purchase gray slacks ( which he needed for work anyways) and he rented some white shoes for the night. We searched every retail in the city, but just couldn't find the right vest. At the last minute he casually said, " Can't you just make one?" Ding Ding Ding * lightbulb* Of course I could! We purchased a medium sized men's black sweater vest. We also purchased a yard of the cheetah fabric. In the movie Ferris' vest isn't actual cheetah but it's a similar print, and we just couldn't let this material go. After some tracing, lots of ironing and careful pinning I sewed along each of the borders. I purposely left the black borders around the vests arm holes, the bottom band and the buttons exposed, to make the vest look less craft project and more purposeful. I'm so excited with how this turned out! Everyone knew who he was right away! The vest looks great and I have plans to make this very item work in my closet soon! I also think I may take stock in some small men's sweater vests and cardigans and start personalizing them with all sorts of fabric choices!


By ourselves, 'Cameron' and I didn't look like much of anything specific, but together the look worked well. We ended up winning 'Best Costume' at the house party of a friend we attended. Everyone's costumes were great and we were completely surprised by the title. On the car ride home Johnny announces, 'we better start planning for next year if we're ever going to top this one!'





Denim Jacket: Goodwill $10
Teal Shirt: Weatervane $2
White Ruffle Under Shirt ( Same as Paul Revere): old
Pearl Necklace: gift from wedding
Gray Pants: Goodwill $5
Brown Side Purse: Goodwill $4
Cowboy Boots: Charlotte Russe $7


3 comments:

Kristin said...

ahhh! I love it! What a creative group costume! :)

Anonymous said...

I love this, what a fun idea!

Kristen said...

This was GENIUS.