Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Getting out of the Fashion Slump...

I have found myself in a bit of a fashion conundrum lately. I don’t know if it’s the weather or the work stresses, but I find myself becoming more and more boring with each passing day. It has become almost too easy to get dressed in the morning. The formula is simple, a cotton shirt, a skirt on bottom and some accessories to make it pop and I’m out the door and ready to go. I think it’s a sign of change because a fashion rut a year ago was not as stylish as this one has been. In contemplating my boring dressing lately, I’ve realized that I am anxious for winter. With the cooler weather comes the opportunity for layering, which allows me to experiment with all sorts of clothing combinations. With the temperature so high lately the most layering I do is to throw a cardigan in my purse for fear of air conditioners. I often flip through magazines, read tons and fashion blogs and keep an inspiration journal to help put a little pep in my ever evolving fashion step. Now those things seem to be having a difficult time from keeping my dressing engine running. It was in searching for some inspiration that I came across the book, “The lucky guide to mastering any Style”. I have a few fashion books, and find this one to be just as useful as the other Lucky editions. This book helps define 10 different iconic looks and how the can be worn in everyday life. It got me thinking, how would I define my style? I have long avoided this question because I think the answer changes from month to month. Looking back on this summer, my style has been largely country club preppy. I have worn lots of khaki, boating shoes, cotton shirts and detailed cardigans. This look has gotten me through, but it may be time I again stretch my fashion wings and try something news.

The following are the 10 iconic looks featured in the book:
1. Euro Chic (think Catherine Deneuve and silk blouses)
2. California Casual (think Farah Fawcett and denim cutoffs)
3. Rock and Roll (think Debbie Harry and leather jackets)
4. Posh Eclectic (think Helena Christensen and pink ruffled skirts)
5. Mod (think Twiggy and A-line mini dresses)
6. American Classic (think Jackie O and the little black dress)
7. Bombshell (think Marilyn Monroe and fitted pencil skirts)
8. Arty Slick (think Bjork and asymmetrical tops)
9. Bohemian (think Stevie Nicks and peasant tops)
10. Gamine (think Audrey Hepburn and trench coats)

None of these looks are listed as ‘Country Club Prep’ which to means I’m going to have to get a little creative. I’m interested to look at my closet with different eyes. Will I be able to stretch my Preppy closet to work with all 10 of these looks? I’m excited to utilize my summer wardrobe in ways that I haven’t yet this summer. I think I will also try this challenge in November as well. To see how 1 look can translate from season to season. For now I will have to put my thinking cap on, get out my little black dresses and leather jackets and start thinking iconic. How can a plain summer wardrobe look like so much more?


( For some inspiration of the iconic challenge kind, take a look at Kasmira over at What I Wore Today: http://whatiwore2day.blogspot.com/search/label/lucky%20guide%20to%20mastering%20any%20style)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

its hard to put style into a category but that list makes it a little easier....very cute!

i think you can forsure mix up your closet to try out more of these looks..it might be hard but knowing you wanna mix it up is a start

xx

Kasmira said...

It looks like you're enjoying trying out the different styles!