Monday, July 20, 2009

Shopping Challenge

After my fantastic shopping finds last week, I decided that I may be in need of a bit of a shopping hiatus. I got some laundry completed this week and as I filed everything back into my closet, I realized that Johnny may be right. I have enough clothes, enough jewelry and enough shoes. When we get a house there just won’t be anywhere to put any more stuff! I would like to take this opportunity and say that I don’t believe I have too much stuff. In fact I routinely donate any items that don’t get much wear, so I assure you that everything in my closet gets a lot of wear and tons of use. That does not mean though that there is just nothing else I need. Of course, I hardly go shopping and come home with items I need, I usually find great items for low cost that I could use, but again I just don’t need any more of anything. As Johnny and I do continue our search for our first house, it is important that I keep the expenses of furnishing a house, and making a move in the back of my head. I don’t have much debt, in fact besides my school loans which are reasonable, I carry with me almost no debt, but it is also important that I keep that debt down. Instead of spending $20 on another great skirt I will put it into my savings. Instead of grabbing those $7 shoes, I will put the $7 back into my credit balance. I will spend 2 months buying no clothes, no shoes, no jewelry, no intimates, bathing suits, headbands and no make-up. I will not buy things I do not need and instead will save that money. I know it seems like an easy concept for people who do not enjoy shopping as much as I, if you don’t need it don’t buy it. For me however, this will be a difficult and long challenge. Especially with a vacation coming up in just 3 weeks, it will be hard to resist picking up a little something to bring home. My shopping will consist only of groceries, and absolute necessities. I think I have finally gotten through the string of birthday’s which means no presents for other people, no wedding gifts, and no more stuff! I hope in 2 months I can look back and be proud of how much I was able to save. I hope to also be astonished by the difference only 8 weeks on a shopping ban will make on me financially. But secretly I just hope I don’t cheat and that I can somehow survive this challenge.

Challenge Start Date: July 20th 2009
Challenge End Date: September 20th 2009

Of course I’m not the first person to try a shopping ban challenge. Check out these lovely ladies:

http://www.alreadypretty.com/

http://www.workthatwardrobe.blogspot.com/ ( this amazing woman is about to finish a 365 day shopping ban!!)

No comments: