Thursday, January 15, 2009

Denim Jacket

I have to admit, I am so very envious of many of the bloggers I read so diligently each day. I really enjoy reading through every one's posts and finding a sense of fashion inspiration along with these young writers. I must admit though, I wish I could be like so many of them. It seems that they all live by this " no pants" rule. And they all always looks so cute in their various skirts and dresses. I however will always be a jeans and tshirt kind of girl. Don't get me wrong, I spend most of my summer in skirts and I love wearing dresses but at the end of the day, I will always chose denim. I have so many jeans. Dark jeans, light jeans, long jeans, flare jeans, skinny jeans, torn jeans. I love that a simple change in denim choice can completely change an outfit. I have jeans I prefer to wear out with heels and jeans that will always go with hoodies. I love taking a great pair of jeans and finding a great shirt jacket and long necklace and making a completely appropriate office outfit. I love wearing boots over my jeans or wearing heels with them. I will always be a jeans girl. I will also always be a sneaker girl. It amazes me to hear people say they don't own any sneakers. I have running sneakers, dressy sneakers, work sneakers, flat sneakers. But again, maybe it's my choice of location. Maybe it's that I'm the average American women. I love fashion, but I know that in the day to day world I live in, getting dressed sometimes needs to serve a purpose more than out of passion. I wish I could spend every night diligently piecing together my next wearable art, but for some reason every time I look in my closet I get tunnel vision and see myself pulling a shirt, cardigan, dress pants and promising myself I'll dress it up with shoes and great accessories. It's in those off moments, going to dinner, family events, movie night or the weekly trivia session in which I attempt to mix it up a bit. I think if I lived in a big city I would take a different approach to acceptability. Sometimes I want to pack up and move because I'm curious as to what kind of person stylistically I would be in a city full of individuality. But even on my many trips down state, I am always impressed with how many people walking by are wearing their walking sneakers jeans and a sweater. What a pleasure to live in such a world in which differences are simply accepted as individuality. I envy those lovely ladies and a large part of me wishes I could be as adventurous and as dressy as them. But I also like my " style". My friends have always joked that I have my own ideas of fashion and I like that. Fashion isn't about doing what everyone else is doing anyways, it's about paving your own path. Taking peoples ideas and making them grander. What a wonderfully fashionable world we live in!

No comments: